Is it possible to create a skin without stretchable pngs?

This is where you can share and download open skins for Smart Keyboard!
buddyisonfire
Phone: Casio G'sOne Commando 2.2.1

Is it possible to create a skin without stretchable pngs?

Post by buddyisonfire »

Hi everyone, I wanted to create a theme that uses textures on the keys and I was wondering if it was possible to have different pngs for each different length of the keys so that theres no stretching and the textures don't get messed up. I'll attach a mockup of the theme I'm working on to further explain what I'm talking about.
interface-concept-smal.jpg
interface-concept-smal.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
Also I was hoping that it was possible to theme the popup that comes up for each key when you press it, but if that is possible I cant seem to find any documentation on it. Is there anyone here that can help me out with these problems I'm having?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Is it possible to create a skin without stretchable pngs

Post by cyril »

You cannot have different pngs for each key, but maybe you could put the texture in the background and play with transparency?

The popups are not skinable but that may come one day.
Cyril
Lycox
Phone: HTC HD2 - Android 2.3.3

Post by Lycox »

The theme looks great so far, is it only the keyboard you'll skin or the topbar too? Looks pretty nice.

@Cyril: I guess I know, why buddyisonfire asking this question. It's because of the displays of your devices. They're only 65k colours so gradients don't look that well. With a light noise (like on the screenshot) layered over the gfx your eyes will be outsmart so a gradient will look very smooth :)
nicky041192
Phone: HTC Wildfire Official 2.2

Post by nicky041192 »

any chance of posting files for that keyboard? I want to mess around with that for my Wildfire :D
buddyisonfire
Phone: Casio G'sOne Commando 2.2.1

Post by buddyisonfire »

Thanks for the replies guys. I think my best bet is to just play with transparency on the keys and have a textured background. I'll be sure to post the keyboard theme when I finish compiling it.

I just got an android phone last week and I'm coming from iOS where I spent quite a bit of time themeing. I'm hoping to create a whole android system theme based off the mockup in my original post, but Android is a lot different than iOS and I've still got a lot to learn before I can compile a complete theme.