ThickButtons

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
gobbmeister
Phone: HTC Hero (Official 2.1)

ThickButtons

Post by gobbmeister »

Re: Striking keys in quick succession doesn't always work
by bradyonly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 am

Just something to add about the iphone keyboard. The size of the trigger area of a key changes depending on the previous letter. Example: after hitting "t" letters like "b" and "n" would have a smaller area compared to say "h" or "i" thus improving accuracy. Just an dying incase you didn't know.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Has anyone seen ThickButtons? It does the above but actually makes certain buttons appear bigger on the on-screen keyboard. However, it takes too long to do this, making typing painfully slow!

If SKB could implement this idea (larger trigger area for certain keys) without making the keyboard appear differently on screen, it would be unstoppable!!

That's not to say it isn't amazing already, by far the best keyboard for Android!
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: ThickButtons

Post by cyril »

gobbmeister wrote:If SKB could implement this idea (larger trigger area for certain keys) without making the keyboard appear differently on screen, it would be unstoppable!!
This will be in the next version
Cyril
jay113
Phone: Nexus One

Post by jay113 »

I've recently updated to the last version (2.8.1). And this feature doesn't work. I didn't see any options in the settings menu. I have a Nexus One with froyo
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

It works, you don't need an option to activate it.
What it does is that the virtual key size is changed, this is invisible (like what is done in the iPhone and the Froyo keyboard).
Cyril
jay113

Post by jay113 »

Ok thanks cyril.
Lidodido
Phone: HTC Wildfire, Android 2.1

Post by Lidodido »

Thought this would slow it down but it actually works really well. I think the overall experience in the latest version feels better, might be due to the Multitouch-tweaks but I barely spell anything wrong now, works REALLY good (except for when the word suggestions won't work as I posted a thread about, however that's barely needed with this ThickButton-like fix :) ).
Blrfl
Phone: HTC Droid Eris, 1.5 (Hopefully 2.1 soon)

Post by Blrfl »

Lidodido wrote:Thought this would slow it down but it actually works really well.
I'll second that. I'm able to type much, much faster.

Nicely done, Cyril.

--Mark
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Good to read! I was a bit afraid when reading a bunch of bad reviews about 2.8.0...
Cyril
jay113

Post by jay113 »

Cyril you did a wonderful job in this version. The best keyboard apply ever
dalingrin
Phone: Captivate

Post by dalingrin »

When I saw this feature in the release notes I was pretty excited.
But in use, I actually can't tell a difference. Even when I've deliberately tested it, I can't tell that the hitboxes are changing.