[bug?] Proper apostrophe behavior

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
c00ller
Phone: HTC Hero CDMA

[bug?] Proper apostrophe behavior

Post by c00ller »

When a word is either autocorrected or chosen from the candidate bar, a space is automatically added. Now when this word is a name, and I want to add a 's such as "Andrew's", the apostrophe is added with a space, so it looks like "Andrew 's".
Apostrophes should be treated like punctuation. That is, if we have "Andrew " then press . or ! or ? or , it automatically goes to "Andrew. " or "Andrew! " or "Andrew? " or "Andrew, " which is exactly how the apostrophe should work!
I don't know about you, but adding that 's is a pain with this keyboard, unless I am doing something wrong...
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: [bug?] Proper apostrophe behavior

Post by cyril »

First, the apostrophe on the keyboard is actually a quote, that's one reason why it should not (at least by default) considered as a punctuation.
Also, do you have a typical example or word for which you have this problem? In most cases the dictionary adds the apostrophe itself so you don't have to type it. You can also disable "space after picking" option but I guess you find it useful in other situations...
Cyril
c00ller

Post by c00ller »

cyril wrote:First, the apostrophe on the keyboard is actually a quote, that's one reason why it should not (at least by default) considered as a punctuation.
Also, do you have a typical example or word for which you have this problem? In most cases the dictionary adds the apostrophe itself so you don't have to type it. You can also disable "space after picking" option but I guess you find it useful in other situations...
Thanks for the response, cyril! You're right, I honestly never noticed that it worked for names as well. However, for proper nouns and words not in the dictionary it will not predict the 's and it is very troublesome having to backspace then add 's. If it's not too much trouble, could you please consider making this behavior an option?
c00ller

Post by c00ller »

I just noticed that for any name that it knows from having "Contacts dictionary" enabled, it will not add the apostrophe itself. It will for normal names like John's or Mike's, but not for names like Tatsuya's or Aalok's. It would be useful if these contact-added dictionary names automatically added the apostrophe.