Suggestion bar colour

If you wish something new in Smart Keyboard, here is the place to ask!
dsf

Suggestion bar colour

Post by dsf »

Hi, could we please have the to option to change the suggestion bar colour background, as this would be a really nice feature, so we could have what looks like the stock 2.3 keyboard:

JFDroid
Phone: Motorola Droid A855

Re: Suggestion bar colour

Post by JFDroid »

I second this!!! Great idea. I'd use it~
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

The problem is that the suggestion bar background is not a color but an image. So the only way to do this is to include the suggestion bar in the skins themselves
Cyril
c00ller
Phone: HTC Hero CDMA

Post by c00ller »

cyril wrote:The problem is that the suggestion bar background is not a color but an image. So the only way to do this is to include the suggestion bar in the skins themselves
Say we already have an open skin zip file. How can we set the suggestion bar image in skin.xml? Is it possible?
I'm wondering because it is the only missing element needed to complete the "look" of certain skins, as posted above.
tmiv44
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt

Post by tmiv44 »

Would it also be possible to resize the suggestion bar? I want it smaller on my Phone, and bigger on my tablet.
-Tm
jay113
Phone: Nexus One

Post by jay113 »

c00ller wrote:
cyril wrote:The problem is that the suggestion bar background is not a color but an image. So the only way to do this is to include the suggestion bar in the skins themselves
Say we already have an open skin zip file. How can we set the suggestion bar image in skin.xml? Is it possible?
I'm wondering because it is the only missing element needed to complete the "look" of certain skins, as posted above.
+1
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

In the latest beta version (future 4.2.0), it's now possible to skin the prediction bar. Just add something like this at the end of the skin.xml:

Code: Select all

<candidates>
     <!-- Define the background of the suggestion bar -->
     <background>
        <image>keyboard_suggest_strip.9.png</image>
    </background>
    <!-- Define the divider bar between candidates -->
    <divider>keyboard_suggest_strip_divider.png</divider>
    <!-- Define suggestion text color -->
    <colors>
      <!-- Color of the typed word -->
      <normal>#FFFFFFFF</normal>
      <!-- Color of the recommended word -->
      <recommended>#FFFCAE00</recommended>
      <!-- Color of the other words -->
      <other>#FFFCAE00</other>
    </colors>
  </candidates>
By the way this beta version also includes a built-in Gingerbread skin, please tell me if it's working well!
Cyril
c00ller
Phone: HTC Hero CDMA

Post by c00ller »

Cyril, thanks for fulfilling this feature request and allowing many more skin functionality :) I imagine at this point, the only possible addition is customization of the key popup preview and long-press popup looks.

I'm trying the 4.2.0 beta you posted. The only problem I notice is it does not follow the color I chose in Advanced settings > Candidate color. It always stays orange. I suspect the new <candidates><colors> arguments in skin.xml overrides this setting?

The GB keyboard looks great! Just some suggestions for improvement: your Gingerbread skin's key size is significantly larger than that of the actual Gingerbread key size (Edit: found out about the key height option; I adjusted it so it looks great without modification). Also, the modifier key labels are gray, not black. Finally, the shift.png and return.png are not the same.
Hotaru made an exact copy, you can use it for reference http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/fo ... 3609#p3609
Here is a comparison
ImageImage

Also, a little off topic, but now that I'm using the beta I imagine the market link to the app is now broken. It looks like the release notes page http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/release-notes has no RSS feed. Also, there is no release announcement thread in the forums that I can subscribe to. I'd like to be notified when there is an official release, could you make one of the above possible?
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

I'm trying the 4.2.0 beta you posted. The only problem I notice is it does not follow the color I chose in Advanced settings > Candidate color. It always stays orange. I suspect the new <candidates><colors> arguments in skin.xml overrides this setting?
Yes, but I knew some people would notice it :p I changed this, now the candidate color set in the preferences is always taken into account as soon as it's changed, otherwise the color defined in the skin is used (which should be the case for most people)

I decreased a bit the height of the keys and changed icons.
Also, a little off topic, but now that I'm using the beta I imagine the market link to the app is now broken. It looks like the release notes page http://www.dexilog.com/smartkeyboard/release-notes has no RSS feed. Also, there is no release announcement thread in the forums that I can subscribe to. I'd like to be notified when there is an official release, could you make one of the above possible?
The market link should not be broken, as the beta uses the same signature. Releases are announced on Twitter, you can subscribe to @dexilog.
Cyril