Lots of Text - Input Window Glitch

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
jetrost
Phone: Motorola Droid, 2.0.1

Lots of Text - Input Window Glitch

Post by jetrost »

I've noticed a bug when typing something long (like an email in the gMail app). After there is about 2 paragraphs worth of text, if you keep on typing, it doesn't show the text you have just typed. When you close the keyboard however, everything I tried to type (but it didn't show up in the input window) now appears in the text box. Clicking on the text box again to begin inputting text doesn't fix the problem. I've found that if I switch to the stock Android keyboard and then back to Smart Keyboard PRO, it fixes itself for a while, and then the problem occurs again.

By the way, I appreciated the update today, if just for the sake of an update. :D Keep up the good work!
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Lots of Text - Input Window Glitch

Post by cyril »

Hello and congratulations, you did the first post ;-)
Is it something you have only in landscape mode or does it also happens in portrait ? I will check if I can reproduce this problem, that's a bit strange...
jetrost

Post by jetrost »

It appears to only happen in landscape mode. When it starts to happen in landscape, I turn it to portrait mode and everything I typed (and didn't show up) appears after it has switched to portrait view.
Phone: Nexus One

Post by avatar5d »

I have the same problem, and in my experience it doesn't appear to be related to paragraph length (I had it happen once after just typing a couple words). This happens to me very frequently, probably about one in every five times I use the keyboard -- very annoying! Also, I have not observed this in portrait mode, but typically only type in landscape.

Great job on the keyboard otherwise.

Post by avatar5d »

Just wondering, are you any closer to understanding this issue? It is still happening to me very frequently. Thanks!
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Not at all :(
And the emulator behaves strange in landscape mode, I will have a closer look
In which app do you have this ? any ?
Cyril

Post by avatar5d »

Unfortunately it occurs in all applications, and I can't figure out how to reproduce it reliably, even though it happens to me very frequently. It kind of seems like it has something to do with either pressing too many letters simultaneously, or with accidentally drawing gestures on the keypad. It also seems to happen relatively often when using the delete key, but that may just be coincidental.

Are you doing any work in a background thread, e.g. queuing and processing touch events? It kind of feels like there's a deadlock somewhere that the main thread is still receiving input, but a worker thread is locked. The fact that it also occurs at random without clear repro steps sounds an awful lot like a thread problem.
jab123
Phone: nexus one 2.1

Post by jab123 »

im actually having a similar issue. for example, im typing in a chat message and then i type and send, when i type a new sentence the last word from the previously sent message is showing up and i have to erase it and type the new one. it's happening often and it's getting frustrating that i've just switched back to the stock android keyboard for now. only thing that has changed with my phone is the nexus one update and the 2nd to last update of the smart keyboard app.
thanks hope this problem can get solved as i love the keyboard otherwise!
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Actually I just installed handcent sms (good app by the way ;) ) and indeed started to notice problems, like keyboard disappearing by itself. And I also have the text disappearing in landscape !

There is something wrong with handcent... I'll have a closer look at this app, it seems it has some strange interactions with the soft keyboard
Cyril
jetrost

Post by jetrost »

I can attest to Handcent being a common factor in some of the bugs. I have tried letting them know about the issues, but the developer doesn't seem too interested in responding to emails (or releasing updates).