Cause of Lag

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
onthecouch
Phone: Android 2.1

Cause of Lag

Post by onthecouch »

Cyril, i've honed in on the cause of lag while typing on my phone (Vibrant, 2.1). It seems the "Show Suggestions" is what's the perpetrator. Whenever it's turned on (checked), typing causes significant lag. However, after turning it off, typing is very smooth and responsive. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to allow custom autotexts anymore. So words like "I'll" can't be typed by just hitting "il" (or even "ill" for that matter).

Is there anyway to allow Custom AutoText (and the User Dictionary, too if possible) without requiring having "Show Suggestions" checked on in a future update?
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Cause of Lag

Post by cyril »

Of course, computing the suggestions is not a light thing, so disabling them will make everything faster. Have you tried to disable the smart dictionary and keep suggestions on?
Technically it's possible to autocorrect without displayed suggestions, and to use the autotext dictionary only, but it's still some work..
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

Cyril, happy to hear you'll try. Much appreciated. For now, I've turned off both 'Smart Dictionary' and 'Show preview popup' while leaving 'show suggestions' on so that I can keep the custom autotext, and it seems to minimize the lag and hiccups to a degree. However, a future update allowing autotext regardless of showing suggestions would be ideal.

Thanks, again.

EDIT: Actually, i need to keep "smart dictionary" on because otherwise, it keeps thinking anytime I mistype "yu" I really want to type "Yu" instead of "you." I don't know if you recall, but I reached out to you a few months ago when I first purchased SKP about this issue. Without smart dictionary, it refuses to auto correct to "you". I'm not sure why this is especially since I've added the custom autotext to have "yu" or "Yu" switched to "you".
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

The lag is really making SKP virtually unusable. I'm going to begin researching for alternatives, but I do hope a fix/update will come soon.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Are you sure you don't use other apps eating resources on your phone? Which Android version and phone do you have?
About the "yu" issue, I will remove it from the dictionary in the next version so you won't need the smart dic any more, hopefully it will help
Cyril
onthecouch

Post by onthecouch »

I run Auto Memory Manager and I have the settings set pretty high (meaning very few apps are left running in the background). I don't believe my memory is causing the lag, but I wouldn't rule it out. The phone doesn't seem to lag much anywhere else though. You might have seen my other post already, but I'm running Android 2.1 on a Samsung Vibrant.

Thanks for removing "yu" (just FYI: I don't have SKP settings set to recognize contact list - there is no one named "Yu" in my contacts anyway). Looking forward to that update. Of course, the most ideal situation is to be allowed to turn off Suggestions, but still allow for auto-correcting and customized auto-corrects.
mistical

Post by mistical »

I am having some lag issues as well and using the same device as onthecouch, Vibrant with 2.1. The last few updates I have really noticed it.

I am not new to any of this either, I have more than enough memory free at any given moment. Which is normally between 100-130MB. I control what I use as well, meaning any regular apps (not system related) that I no longer need running, I do make sure to end. Same goes with controlling what starts up with the device (AutoStarts).

On a side note, I will say that suggestions were greatly improved since 3.2.0 but I have noticed lately that it could be a lot better though, and that I wish it was. I should of remembered what version it was to be exact that this was improved so much, but I want to say it was 3.2.0

Lately though, I guess as onthecouch said, works like "Yu" should not be suggested before "You" where it becomes an annoyance to me. For example if it doesn't pick up that I didn't hit the "o" button or however it doesn't, and I have typed just "Yu", "you" should be suggested over "Yu" or even "time" which I do not get why that would be suggested here either.

Another example (sorry to go off subject further) would be when typing "did" it firsts suggests "di" over "did".
goodie
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S

Post by goodie »

Samsung android phones are known to have some lag issues with File I/O.
I heard that there are some lag fixes in the android market, which mainly changes the file system to boost up I/O speed.
mistical

Post by mistical »

goodie wrote:Samsung android phones are known to have some lag issues with File I/O.
I heard that there are some lag fixes in the android market, which mainly changes the file system to boost up I/O speed.
I personally have already applied these. There is still lag with the keyboard. :) I know as previously said already that resources get taken up for suggestions and such, which I have no means of disabling anytime soon. Maybe something else by the developer can be done to increase this? Even if it's just for the Vibrant.
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

Only the smart dictionary does I/Os, so if you disable it you should not be concerned by this problem (good to know, anyway)
The usual source of lags (apart from I/Os) is the java garbage collector, which can freeze the whole keyboard for up to 1 second on a slow phone. I already worked on reducing the impact of the garbage collector, but doing it further is a huge task and would mean rewrite entire parts of the application
Cyril