Spanish qwerty long keypress bug (to me)

You can post your bug reports here. Please include at least the app version and your phone, and any useful information.
notuo

Spanish qwerty long keypress bug (to me)

Post by notuo »

Hi all.

I am new here and just installed SK and so far I am happy (way better than the standard) but in one thing. I read also the topic regarding long keypress and I disagree in the way is implemented. I try the same in English international and the thing is the same. Here is my comment:

In Spanish there are some accented characters, not so many as in other languages but we need to write accordingly. If I wan to write for example "camión" when I arrive to the o I long keypress the o and I got 3 options, °, ó and 9 and 9 is the default. As I mentioned I am in the qwerty layout so I don't get why 9 is the default instead of the ó. This works fine in the default android keyboard but not here, why? because I am writing text not numbers. If I want to write numbers I can use the number key to enter numbers or have this procedure but as an option, not the default.

Writing text should mean ó takes precedence over 9.

Any comments are welcome.

Best regards to all.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Re: Spanish qwerty long keypress bug (to me)

Post by cyril »

Hello
In your example, "camion" is automatically replaced by "camión" (or at least, suggested) by the dictionary, so why don't you use it? (if you think the dictionary is not complete, you could just turn off "auto-complete" option so that you get at least suggestions)
Cyril
notuo

Post by notuo »

cyril,

First thank you for your answer,

Second, your suggestion about auto-complete is welcome and I'll try it.

Third, I guess you missed my point here. If you try the standard android keyboard when you long press any letters with accented characters, the default (at least in my case: Spanish) always gave me the Spanish accented letter, not any number nor other character. This is my point. If I am typing text, I expect to type text not a mix in numbers(other characters) and letters. Because I am typing in Spanish. Your algorithm now works fine for an English keyboard with no accented characters. The people expect that behavior. Try to do this in the default keyboard and see.

Do I made myself more clear this time?

Forget about the example, was only to show my point.

Thanks for your answer and I'll wait for your comments here.
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

Yes I understood your point, and this is valid not only for Spanish. However my point was that you should not need (or at least, not often) to enter accents manually if you use the dictionary, as if you type "camion" for instance, it will be automatically changed to "camión".
Changing the behavior should at least be optional (because many people want the current behavior), and making this optional is not an easy task...
Cyril