Upgrade from Trial to Full version, keeping settings?

For anything else related to Smart Keyboard
AlexV
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Tab, Android 2.2

Upgrade from Trial to Full version, keeping settings?

Post by AlexV »

Is it possible to upgrade from the trial version to the full version? I tried out the trial version, and decided that it could be configured to behave the way I wanted, so I purchased the full version. This installed itself side-by-side with the trial, rather than upgrading. Fair enough, that's probably an Android market limitation, but it would have been nice if it kept the settings I set with the trial at least.

I thought I'd work around this by doing a back up from Trial, and a restore to Full, but that didn't work. It didn't say why it didn't work, or even that it had failed, but no settings were changed. Further investigation showed that the trial and the full versions save their backup settings in two different folders on the SD card, so I moved backup.zip from smartkeyboard to smartkeyboardpro, but it still didn't work.

Is it actually impossible to keep the settings I've customised - do I have to go through it all again?

Alex
merlin
Phone: Nexus One

Re: Upgrade from Trial to Full version, keeping settings?

Post by merlin »

Is this really the case? I am in exactly the same situation - tried the KB in trial mode, spent approx 3 hrs doing the settings and now I'd like to purchase Pro. If I will have to through everything again then this is REALLY very annoying. Please tell me that's not the case... ;-)
cyril
Developer
Phone: Nexus One 2.3

Post by cyril »

It's possible, but not straightforward at the moment. I can give you a procedure using adb (this binary can be found in "platform-tools" directory in the Android SDK)

Go to some empty directory on your computer and run the following commands (make sure "adb" is in your PATH, or put the complete path to adb):

Code: Select all

> adb pull /data/data/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial/databases/autotext.db .
> adb push autotext.db /data/data/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro/databases
> adb pull /data/data/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial/databases/userdic.db .
> adb push userdic.db /data/data/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro/databases
> adb pull /data/data/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial/shared_prefs/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial_preferences.xml .
> adb push net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial_preferences.xml /data/data/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro/shared_prefs/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro_preferences.xml
Then restart smart keyboard pro (switch the input method to the stock keyboard and back to smart keyboard pro)
Cyril
greengf
Phone: 07734364362

Post by greengf »

This is an important issue - I've spent quite a while adjusting settings and creating a long AutoText list. I'd very much like to support the program by buying the pro version, but not if I have to re-enter all the work I've done so far.

I tried the obvious of linking to PC and looking in the backup folder, but the zip directory appears to be empty, as far as Windows 7 is able to indicate anyway (hidden files are set to be visible). Although it reports the size as 13k (rather small for approx 100 AutoText items).

It seems that the trial lets you continue using it with just an occasional message – is that true indefinitely?

Is there a reason why the trial can't be upgraded using a licence code as is common in Windows? Couldn't that feature be added? Cyril’s workaround seems, as he says, rather long winded.

Thanks, Geoff
greengf

Post by greengf »

Hi, I'm quite technically proficient, though not much with Android, but I'm not sure how to follow the above instructions. So this is done from my computer, not from my phone – does the phone need to be USB linked? What do I need to do to get adb working? Can I just cut and paste the commands listed?

Help much appreciated, thanks! Geoff
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

greengf wrote:Hi, I'm quite technically proficient, though not much with Android, but I'm not sure how to follow the above instructions. So this is done from my computer, not from my phone – does the phone need to be USB linked? What do I need to do to get adb working? Can I just cut and paste the commands listed?
I will work on an easier way, at the moment the method described above is the only solution. You need to install the Android SDK on your computer thanks to the given link, and you should be able to copy paste these commands in a command line window, at least if you are in the directory containing adb (though I didn't test these commands on Windows, only on Mac OS X)
Cyril
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

So, I have implemented a new option to restore settings from the trial version, you can try it in this beta version.
Cyril
Skeeter
Phone: sch-i500 android 2.1 mod

Post by Skeeter »

cyril wrote:So, I have implemented a new option to restore settings from the trial version, you can try it in this beta version.
Worked great, Thanks so much :)
greengf

Post by greengf »

Hi, thanks for creating that new way of copying settings and AutoCorrect. however, it doesn't seem to work for me, here’s what I did:

- download the professional version of the keyboard to my phone
- download the beta to my phone
- set professional as my default keyboard
- navigate to the beta then run it - accepting the question about it replacing the current program
- run the keyboard - no AutoCorrect present nor my settings

Is there something I'm missing?

Many thanks again, Geoff

Samsung Galaxy europa, droid 2.1
cyril
Developer

Post by cyril »

You don't tell about it in your post, but have you done the 2 essential steps?
1) go to smart keyboard trial settings, and choose "backup to SD" option
2) go to smart keyboard pro settings, and choose "restore from trial" option
Cyril